Monday, June 30, 2008

Its not about the quanitity, but the quality

So this is a phrase I hear often... a good rule of thumb. Today at work, Round Table Pizza, I was cleaning the bathrooms and I started to ponder upon this random phrase. I really take a long time when I clean windows and mirrors because streaks drive me bazonkers and I decided that if someone gets mad at me I can explain that I want quality first over how much I can get done the fastest...

Anyways, I have always thought of this term in the literal sense, in doing things the right way the first time... or in having a few nice articles of clothing compared to a basket of cheap ones... or a smaller portion of food displayed with elegance over a greesy plate of microwaved trans fat. But, I have been really Kingdom focused lately, I just want God to speak to me in the small things, and he did.

The chuch today, I think, gets sooooo caught up in "Salvation" in the "Big Numbers". We focus on evangelism efforts and crusades, and events to draw in the lost. We count attendance and constantly try to better it, always falling short. I have ever known this system was skewed, but I see it so clear now. It is NOT about the quantity or, how many, but of the quality of their salvation experience. I dont know the exact percentange, but... at least more than half the peopel "saved" at Billy Gramm* crusades fall away shortly after. Not because they didnt mean it, but because it was such an emotional day and there was little or no follow up.

It is easy for a Missionary to report how many people he saved this year. But what does that mean? People who fled for the emotional high, crying at an alter during a slow song played on the guitar as the pastor speaks of a guilt trip? Or do those numbers represent a true protrayal of quality salvation experiences? How far away we have strived from what God built the church t be. Its not about the quantity, but the quality.

*please note that I am not condensending Billy Gramm in any way, I respect the man with so much of what I am, I just believe that follow up is a must and that we need to protect ourselves against fighting just for numbers.

3 comments:

Harmony Moore said...

of course, the term "quality, not quantity" always makes me think of Mr. Roy... =)

Sharell said...

How funny is it that even stupid little phrases can prove that the American church is a little bit twisted?

Harmony Moore said...

Graham. ;)

(I had to look it up!)

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States