Thursday, June 26, 2008

Bridging the gap that really isnt there

At 11:30 I went to my church for a Bar-B-Q. I walked in and seated myself at a table in which I was acquainted with only one person, a girl closest to my age. I began a discussion with the other members of the table on topics covering things like party lines, vacations and comic strips.

I ate a burger, fresh peppers and 3 different types of cake. It was all washed down by a cup of coffee that was probably decaffinated and much to lite. I smiled and laughed and had a great time. I was invited to hang out with my new friends bragged upon by my youth pastor.

It was one of the best Bar- B - Q's I have ever been to, probably the best church event I have attended since coming home. It was an event hosted by the Senior Citizens oh my church in their attempt to bridge the gap of generations. It worked.

We had worship time. For once, rather than having seperate servies for generations, we combinded them. We sang one modern worship song led by an alto on guitar, and then switched to 3 versed hymn led by a saprano on the piano. Everyone was respectful. Everyone sang what they knew, but we worshiped together the entire time.

I think this is what life is suppose to be. We wouldnt need to be reaching out it such modern ways as a generation if the previous generations embraced us as they did today. I didnt feel alone in my walk to love Jesus, I felt surrounded and uplifted and overjoyed. I hope we continue this into a constant re-occurance.

Next week when I see the sisters Helen andDorthy or either of their husbands for 52+ years, I will say "Hi" and give a hug, and try to embrace the small relationship that was started.

1 comment:

Harmony Moore said...

this is really cool, heather. I have all sorts of other things to say but then this comment box doesn't lend itself to conversation. But this is really cool. One of my favorite posts.

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States