Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tears of a King

As Jesus was riding the colt into Jerusalem the following scene took place...

"But as they came closer to Jerusalem and Jesus saw the city ahead, he began to cry. 'I wish that even today you would find the way of peace. But now it is too late, and peace is hidden from you..." (Luke 20:41-42)

Jesus was warning them of the destruction to come. He saw what was going to happen and it broke his heart because they would not listen. I am not a Bible scolar, but the only other place I know that Jesus cried was when Lazarus died. (so if anyone else knows something, fill me in!) But the first instances was from utter sadness from the death of a dear friend, it was love from the heart. This instance too was from brokenness... but a deep sadness different from that of a death, I think.

I have experienced sadness in friends and situations, but the sadness I feel when I warn and see not change... it is excrutiating. Jesus was telling of the terrible events that would take place, so similar to the prophets as they cried for the people after years of rejection. Jeremiah was the weeping prophet because he saw the future, warned the people and yet was rejected. Christ was this on that day. I wonder, how often am I that? I have cried for people... but I want it more. If Jesus, the King and Savior... if he can cry over events about to take place.... so can I.

No comments:

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States