Monday, June 23, 2008

What a waste.

I just got a job at Round Table Pizza and am enjoying the learning of working. I am frusterated by one small issue though: waste.

My resturant is part of a chain, a franchise; so because of that there is specific protocall that must be followed. Food has a limit of how long it can sit out on our buffet line, if it exceeds the 20 minutes, it must be taken and thrown away. We are not allowed to eat it, or give it away, we must throw a perfectly good looking pizza into the garbage can because the health department thinks it might be unhealthy.

It frusterates me because so much of the world is in need, there are starving people in China. But more than that, there are staving people living just outside the doors of my companies establishment... and we have to waste food they could eat. Am I allowed to be rebelious and sneek food away to feed those who need nurishment? I am not, my job depends upon me following the set guidelines. And it frusterates me. America frusterates me.

Here we are living the "American Dream" caring so much about codes and rules and standards... that we dont really care what goes on outside of us. I care, but so much of my country does not. The morals of the work system do not. They are there to keep us healthy and to protect us and to keep our economy stronger than any other country. But in trying to boost our economy we lose that love for people that once existed in the core of all.

3 comments:

Abbey said...

Wow. That makes me mad, too. And with a global food crisis! You should figure out some way to be rebellious without being in trouble. 20 minutes!! That's crazy!

Harmony Moore said...

you can't sneak it out?

Harmony Moore said...

Maybe you should give some homeless guys a heads up, so they can check the trash at appropriate times. You could even package nicely. ;) I mean, that looks horrible to write... but you know what I mean. Is that okay to say? Or am I politically incorrect here.

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States