Friday, May 23, 2008

re·viv·al –noun

1.restoration to life, consciousness, vigor, strength, etc.
2.restoration to use, acceptance, or currency: the revival of old customs.
3.an awakening, in a church or community

I was thinking about revival. When so many hear the word they automatically get the picture of some TV Evangelist bopping people on their head. Although that is a false impression, my mind played up that picture for many years. I prayed and prayed for revival. I wanted that special "move of God." But recently I have begun to question what it was I wanted...

I want to see God move like he did through is Son, while Jesus was on earth. I want to see miracles take place like in the book of Acts. And I really want to see union of community like demonstrated through the first church. What I want is for people to wake up, not to have an "experience" but to change completly. I want tired christians to have something to be excited about and churches to catch the great commission in Matthew 28:19-20.

So putting the two together, I do want revival. The deffinition of revival fits exactly what my list of "wants" describe. Its just that now, the revival I want is a much more accurate protrayal in my mind. And I want it all the more. I want restoration of life; in me, the my friends, in my church. I want awakening. But most of all, I want revival of old customs. I want the book of Acts to be apparant in my every day life. What was it that they did to prepare for that? I want it. I want those old customs revived.

No comments:

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States