Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Priviledged Home

Not a day goes by since being home that I am not thankful for what I missed. I've been home a good two and a half months since my big adventure and... it still seems so fresh. I have been home for half the amount of time I was gone. I should be use to being here, yet every day my mind is taken back. I see my Aremenian coffee, or talk to my friend Lavinia who lives in Romania. I have friends like Abbey Stombaugh who would not be in my life if I had never been gone, its still crazy to me in some ways. I mean, I was on the other side of the world and in some ways that seems like the biggest deal in the world! But to everyone else, it is just a story, a thing that happened in the past. I feel I am still living it in some ways. I calculate time according to "when I got home." How long will that last?

Every day that I see one of my friends, or talk on my cell phone, or eat out of my fridge, or sit alone in my room and write.... every day I soak it in because I remember what it was to be without. I remember not hearing the glorious sound of my best friends voices, not being able to just "hang out." And so, although most of what I have done since coming home is not anything on a major scale... I still notice it all. I dont take it for granted, I cant.

I would love to travel again, to go without so I could appreciate more of what I do have. But I dont have to have it taken away to realize my priviledge of having it.

1 comment:

Ed Ziebart said...

I am privileged to lhave you home. I pray He blesses you uniquely and fully during this special season in your life...

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States