Monday, May 19, 2008

Prideful Humility

"There is hardly a man alive who dares to be who he is without doctering up the impression."

I am listening to a short sermon I have heard many times before because the words have been running through my head for days. It's about pride and I have been just slapped silly as the words repeat over and over.

"The more humility a person has, the greater true self worth that person has."

If I want to have worth, I have to be humble. Worth does not come through who I make myself appear to be. No, worth comes from me being me even if it is not as good as the appeared self.

"We are constantly trying to come across better than we are..."

Its true. What person does not try to make themself look better than they really are. I know how to put the smile on and say the right words. How to make it seem to others that my life is perfectly without flaw. It just depends on who we are with, at least for me. In some small way I try to better myself towards them, to relate better to them. Because some trigger in the back of my mind says that is what they are looking for. What they are looking for is for me to be me... all the time.

"Humility is to be willing to be known for who you are; Pride is trying to be known for who you are not."

I dont want to ever feel like I need to docter myself up. I want to be that minority that dares to be who I am. But I want who I am to be worth being.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. Thats all.

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States