Monday, November 19, 2007

Around the corner, to the left, all the way in the back

Everyday for the past maybe 4 days I have excitedly checked the postbox infront of the house looking for a slip of paper which held my name. Today I knew was the day. We returned from class and someone else got to the box before myself, but they found the paper and said my name. What a sweet sound to my ears. I ran upstairs (only 3 stories) grabbed my ipod and headed towards the bus, walking briskly and listening to upbeat 1940's christmas music.

I departed from the bus at the right stop, but from there had no direction, so i wandered in every direction. Then my eyes spoted it in the distance, a beautiful sign "POSTA" it read and my step lightened a bit.

Walking in I was slighty intimidated by the large crowds and 7 different lines. I dont understand post offices at home, where I can read the language and ask questions - here I was really out of the loop. So I tried to sound out words on the paper and find words that looked similar on signs, no luck. I then turned to plan B - look dumb and hope for help. It worked! I stood long enough lookng confused and finally a guy came up and started to talk to me, he found out I spoke english and in english told me I was at the wrong post office (which I assumed because I was told there were 2 I just couldnt find the other one) so he pointed where to go. I thanked him.

Directly to the left around the corner, there was another wonderful "POSTA" sign. I entered and was redirected two more times by motions and found the right room. I saw lots of packages and knew I was in the right place. After producing an ID to prove my identitiy, I had it. A package with my name, sent all the way from Keizer Oregon, and it found its way to me, all the way over here in a little neighborhood post office in Budapest, Hungary.

I walked home in glee and slowly opened the contents upon returning home. The first thing I did was dip my finger into the Super Chunky Skippy Peanut Butter Jar. I played with the hacky sack and sat down to a cup of my favorite tea.

This is the story of a girl getting a package and enjoying it in Budapest.

I

3 comments:

Harmony Moore said...

Chunky?!

That's so exciting, though. But where's the credit to the sender of the package, eh????? =)

Anonymous said...

Heather you are simply amazing!

Harmony Moore said...

um......November 19 was a really long time ago....

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States