Thursday, July 8, 2010

Family

The Ziebart Family. This was the family we spent holidays with and always squirmed to leave early so not to be too late to Mom’s side of the family. (Mom’s side) The side of the family with the cousins we loved and the aunts we adored. The Ziebart family was loud and shocking and slightly uncomfortable. Harmony says it well in that she must prepare herself whenever a gathering comes about, and I wholeheartedly agree. It’s not that this family is bad, I love them all dearly, they are family. And the discussions are always ok, as long as you don’t get anyone started on politics, religion, sports, health or investments. Stick to Construction.

I love my Grandpa, afterall, he is the only Grandpa I have. Bryan and I were good friends, when we were little seeing that we went to pre-school together and all. Ben’s long hair mezmorized me, Uncle Norman scared me, Aunt Patty shushed me. We gathered at holidays … but that was it. Though we all mostly lived in the same city, we did not hang out. I don’t really know why.

So a few years ago Mandy got married and had me help with the gifts at her wedding, then I caught the boquet! I was enamored with her. Nick and Mandy moved back to the area a few years later and invited me to Portland, to their Bible Study. It was so out of my comfort zone, but out of lack of excuses and a deep desire for something new, I went. I started to get a small glimpse of their lives. School brought me here, and now I spend more time with them then pretty much anyone else.

Harmony asked me about a week ago if Mandy and I were friends. I laughed, sighed and responded in an email that yes indeed, Mandy, my Ziebart Cousin and I were friends. How mysterous our God is. This cousin that I have so many connections with, is now a deep part of my life. I am trusted with her kids and her kitchen. And I delight in being with her. Her devotion to God, her respect for her husband, her patience with neighbors, and her joy of being a mom - these things speak rivers to my soul. How thankful I am that the Lord closed doors on a job for me this summer. Mandy, if only you knew what joy it is to serve with you.

1 comment:

Mandy Mucci said...

Thank you for blessing my life, my home and my heart dear cousin. You mean so much to us, all 4 of us!

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States