Thursday, July 29, 2010

Territory

Isn’t it funny how territorial we are? We claim our space, and we own it, and our right to it, and we feel the need to protect it … and are in a way, prideful of it.

At work, (my janitorial job) I have been there around six months. I am pretty shy and keep to myself there, because the other employees had been there a while. It was their territory. Then, some people were fired and a new girl came in and I had to train her … and all of a sudden I was full of confidence, because this was my territory, I knew it better than her.

About this same time I was volunteering at a big event downtown and I once again was pretty shy my first shift, doing what others told me to do. When I returned the next day, I was recognized as being there before and I was trusted with some stuff, and as I stood my post, I was shy … until I found out the lady I was working with was new, and I knew something she did not, and I filled her in, and I noticed myself kicking into a new gear, pride popping out; my territory.

Then, it came out once more that week. I went to a worship event at school. A girl came up and introduced herself to me and asked if I was new. I had a bit of an attitude and responded with a tisk “NO, I am a sophomore.” And with that, she walked away. “Geesh, Those seminary students don’t know us at all.” I sat to Angela. Then as the night progressed, I come to find out that Wendy, the girl who introduced herself to me, was an incoming freshman next year and knew noone there … and that was her first association with Multnomah Students. I felt terrible! Luckily, I was able to talk it over with her afterwards and explain and ask forgiveness for my attitude. She thought it was pretty funny that I misplaced her, a just graduated high school student, for a married seminary student!

All of this has really look at this whole territory thing. I don’t like it. I think we should be treating people and acting the same, no matter our “turf ground.” This is going to be really hard to do, especially with the sinful pride nature we hold. But thanks to my embarrassing run in with Wendy, I am going to be checking my heart much faster.

“May the words of my mouth, and the thoughts of my heart, be pleasing to you Oh Lord.” –Psalm 19:14

No comments:

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States