Saturday, August 15, 2009

Wilkeson

Today I went to Wilkeson, Washington with my Family. Its in the foothills of Mt. Rainer. A small town, forgotten by most – except for those who have never left. We met Roger Peleski, an 84 year old resident who had lived in the 400 population town his whole life. He mined. He rock Quarried. His house is the city museum. He told us of “Coke” Kilns, railroad tracks, 900 foot mines and his elementary school. I think he wanted someone to listen.

Then, I bought a chest at a garage sale for $25.00. I’ve been looking for one for years now; to put in things like treasures and letters and things valuable to my heart. I am going to work on restoring and sealing it… if I can figure out how. Thank you Aunt Sherry for sacrificing your fingers to put it and my bookshelf in the van.

1 comment:

mama said...

That day will be such a special memory for me! Your chest, the town, Aunt Sherry's cries, the bookcase, the old hotel/brothel, the old miner, grammy's ice cream cone, 2 stops at Starbucks, the rock/garden shop, Jan & Bill's, the WHOLE day! Let's put things in your chest!

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States