Thursday, August 20, 2009

Sensible?

Not but two minutes have passed since the completion of my reading Sense and Sensibility. Some of you know the struggle it was for me to complete this literary masterpiece – but I did finish.

I have had a two day average on book reading this summer, this particular book took me twenty and seven days from start to finish. I have begun this book at least five times over the years, but was never drawn in enough to finish.

Harmony has been talking to me about the elegant writing of Jane Austin and how much I would truly enjoy it if I would simply get past the first few chapters. I got through the first ten and was still struggling, but my mom encouraged me to keep going.

I got through the next 10 chapters and still found myself re-reading pages to try to grasp the previous described events. I had to go ever so slow, not my normal speed reading, and it was somewhat confining to not just whip through the pages with ease.

Sarah was of great comfort to me when I shared my difficulties with her this week, encouraging me again, to finish. That the last third would be the best (that was exactly where I was) and that next time I should choose a book I have not seen the movie too, perhaps Mansfield Park. Very good advise Sarah, I should have followed that from the beginning when my conscious told me that… but I was too cheap to buy something I didn’t own.

The past two days I read more than I have the past 20 combined. I reached the end of the book and it became thrilling. I opted to sit alone, with classical music on, and read it almost out loud, really grasping every word. How much clearer it was then when SpongeBob was not cackling in the background!

Oh how wonderful the ending. Even though I was not able to imagine the faces of the charters because Kate Winslet, Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant were pictured on the front… I enjoyed it immensely. The writing was sensational, I feel somewhat smarter and have an urge to use large words.

Thank you Jane for this book. I will read Mansfield Park… but for now, I will head back to my beloved Anne, the sixth book should be arriving in my mail box and I checked out seven and eight from the library to finish off the series. My devotion still lies to L. M. Montgomery.

2 comments:

Harmony Moore said...

I loved this. I'm so glad you made it through the book, and that you enjoyed it. I laughed when you said it made you feel smarter, and want to use big words. Isn't that the truth? =)

I really loved reading P&P. But I think Emma may be my favorite of the books. Though the first half drove me batty.

Sarah said...

Good job finishing it!
If you ever want to borrow Jane Eyre... =)

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States