Sunday, October 5, 2008

Vulnerability

A few weeks ago I started going to a small group at Salem Alliance, its been realy amazing.

It is the first group that feels simply real. Real to the core. Its not showy or clicky or even churchy. It just is. The couple that are leading it are really in love with Jesus. Matt and Susan have stories that I cant wait to unfold! They are simply seeking life as are we. They spent 13 years preparing to be missionaries in France with there 3 girls but find themselves in Salem, where he grew up, leading a college small group. They are just seeking.

For 4 weeks we have been discusing Gods Will. My life perspective is changing. First off I love this group because it gets me to think deep, but that good kind of deep thinking, the healthy kind. And I loved that the first week he asked a question I didnt know the answer to! I got so excited! What a weirdo right? It means there is room to grow! Not knowing the answer means that an answer needs to be found! It means that study is involved and my brain just jumped on board!

I like that real questions are asked. Its like sensative subjects almost force chosen vulnerability. I love talking about things, but am not always the best at figuring out how to start it. I walked in today and Susan asked Heather and I where we were going to chuch, we said we were kinda looking. Rather than giving the expeced response of "oh" (that "oh" followed by an interesting facial expression that implys more than the listener really intended to imply) she asked "So what have you noticed at these churches? What is the same with them?" I was really taken back because the question was so unexpected, she really cared and was interested. I talked about how worship was the same at most places. The worship teams were good, the song choices were good - but the response from the audiance was quite ususally bland. Anyways, her simple question got 6 of us talking about worship for like 30 minutes. Then when Matt came in he asked 2 more questions : (1) If you could do one thing in life what would it be and, (2) what is the worst mistake you have ever made. It was just cool, cause he expected answers. So people answered. And when the day was started with vulnerability, we were able to carry that into our days conversation, that vulnerability. Its good.

3 comments:

Harmony Moore said...

This is really awesome, Heather! What an incredible gift! I'm so excited for you.

I want a group filled with deep questions! =)

Sharell said...

Harmony.. we should start a club. Called "Hungry for deep questions folk" haha. I have about 30 lifetimes of deep questions, but I love it when I am asked them just the same...

Maybe that is why Heather's other blog has 12 commments on it hehe..

Heather.. I can't wait til I am done with my city gallablanting so I can come to college group and church searching again..

Heather W. said...

I thought my other blog had like 12 comments on it cause you like me ! I love you guys commenting on my blogs! what would they be without them?

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States