Friday, October 10, 2008

Leaves

I've gotten into the habbit of reading every day, well I usually read, but it reall is a habbit - addicting. I read mostly in the afternoons, when the house is the most quiet, when the leaves are blowing or the rain is falling. I read wrapped in 5 layers of blankets usually drinking chai tea.

Yesterday I started reading the autobiography of Billy Grahm -its 800 and something pages. You would think he would have written a mini series instead. None the less I picked up this book, equal in weight to my bible, and started to read the history and story of a man who has, I suppose, in many ways, affected even my life. It was while I was reading the part of his courtship to Ruth when I heard a quiete rude noise - the "landscapers."

Seriously they just have to come when your reading about Billy and Ruths courtship dont they! Argghhh. I suppose I get frusterated every time they come because it seems they dont do much, they do what we should do. Any ways, I suddenly rememberd my yard full of leaves in the front and jumped to my feet worried that my fall wonderland had dissappeard. Luckily he had just started with his "leaf blower" on part of the sidewalk.

"Excuse me," I said as politly and innocently as I could. "Would it be ok if you didnt take away my leaves?" He had a confused look on his face. So I continued on... "I really like the leaves, I think they are pretty and I would really like it if you could just leave them. I will rake them up later." (Did you catch that I said RAKE not like BLOW?Seriously what happened to raking???)

I think understood what I wanted but probably thought I was crazy. "Ok, um... what do you want me to do with those?" Pointing to the pile of leaves he had already blown off the sidewalk. "Do you want me to put them back?" I laughed, no you dont have to put them back, just leave them alone."

And he did.

I like the leaves. They are pretty. We, as usual, have the only yard in the neighborhood with leaves because we seriously have the only leaf falling tree or something, but anyway, other people need leaves to look at too! And I will RAKE them, and jump in them.

Fall is my favorite of the seasons. It took me 19 years to decide that. But it is and I am not going to let anyone just blow it away.

3 comments:

Harmony Moore said...

This rocks! You cracked me up.

Anonymous said...

First off I want to inform you that I indeed read your blog. And I can just picture you with a very sincere and quiet voice asking that man to not touch your leaves! Priceless...

mama said...

Thank you for persuading Mr. Disturb-our-peace-with-your-blower to "leave the leaves!" I agree...we do have great leaves. I also like the part about you raking them up!

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States