Thursday, August 28, 2008

Women Shepherd

One of my Co-workers asked when I am going back to school and what I want to be and stuff. I told her of my Missionary work in Europe and of how I wanted to be a Pastor.

"You can have a woman pastor?" She asked with astonishing surprise

"Yes." I responded. "Women can be pastors."

"Oh. I didnt know that."

I thought it all very funny. She was catholic and in her mind men were priests and that was that. I was saddened thought that she didnt know, that she wasnt familiar with Christ. Maybe we can talk again. It got me thinking about what a pastor is: one who shepherds the sheep. So I guess that would already make me one. Nuns are missionaries and shepherds and mothers - it is just the role of a woman, to shepherd.

I was taken back the the story of Debroah (in Kings?) and how mighty a woman led men. I wonder, how many men asked "A woman can lead a battle?"

"Yes, A woman can lead a battle."

In her case, she did so because the King (Barak?) was to cowardly to lead without her, but she lead nonetheless. It was surprising then, and I suppose it is surprising today.

I dont know what the point of any of this is, and I am deffinatly not trying to make a theological statement or change the story of Deborah to fit what I want it to say, it was just what I was thinking about.

1 comment:

mama said...

It is wonderful to see God's plan for your life unfolding! You are a woman God is using, will continue to use...

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States