Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Summer, where for art thou?

Happy First Day of Summer. You know, Summer. A.K.A – A time when it is hot, the months between June and September. Sunshine, skirts and ice cream trucks. Swimming pools, bike riding and cold pasta salads. Well, here in the grand old North West we have experienced all of the above minus the sunshine and the heat. I heard that Portland Parks and Rec opened the public swimming pools today and despite the 62 degree overcast day, they were filled. I wear skirts – with leggings. I hear the ice cream truck roll drearily by. I ride my bike through puddles and eat cold pasta salad – inside.

I heard on the radio last week that we were to the point where even the die hard, rain loving Oregonians were allowed to be a little upset. Let me tell you, this brought me great relief. I have felt that my utter devotion and optimism to year round rain had to continue, but now I have an excuse! Did you know that on June 2 we surpassed the normal rainfall for May and June Combined? We set a new record. Every day since then we have just been adding to it.

Today was also he longest day of the year; they start getting shorter from here. That makes me sad. As I was driving over the Markum bridge tonight, looking west I saw a sliver of blue, of light. “Well, there is my longest day.” Other than that sliver, they sky was grey and filled with soggy clouds.

I remember being little and being so totally mesmerized with the longest day of the year, the first day of summer. I would wear shorts no matter the temperature. Yes Mom, I wore Capri’s today – I just couldn’t bring myself to do Jeans. But I remember one year on Wood Wind when my mom said I could stay up and play outside until it was dark – on the longest day of the year! It was so exciting. I ran around as Matthew and the other cold-a-sac boys played basketball with their shirts off. (that itself is an entirely different blog about why I was so frustrated that they could be shirtless and I could not! I mean hey, I was like 4.) We didn't go inside until close to 11 that night, you know, when the last sliver of blue disappeared.

Well, Summer, I know you are out the somewhere. I think you are Colorado. Please come, and then disappear when school starts, because it is so dreadfully hot in the dorms when it is 90 degrees … but I wont complain if you stay. Just come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Summer is here! Come see me!

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States