Sunday, June 6, 2010

Facebooks Eye

In the movie Eagle Eye, there was this one mega computer that controlled and knew of every electronic communication devise. It could had hundreds of thousands of sensors that could communicate with or track people down through anything, billboards, cell phones and public computers. It was super creepy because the military created it to help monitor, but it ended up taking over!

Now to my point. This morning I was on CNN, seeing that it is my homepage, and all of a sudden it tells me of some video that Nick Mucci likes. On CNN. Granted, the video was pretty cool. But why did CNN tell me about something he liked? What if I didn’t to know? Is that an option? NO!

Then like 10 minutes later my Pandora told me that Sally DeBous like the artist I was listening to. At first I thought, “that’s cool.” Then I thought, “Why does Pandora know that???” Again, another website using my facebook friends and telling me things about them when I am not on facebook! Did you know that you can listen to your friends playlists from your Pandora without them knowing? Yeah, creepy.

Now, when I am on Facebook, I expect to hear things about people, to discover their likes and dislikes, but when I don’t want to know, I don’t go on it. But now I am finding out, that I will find out whether I want to or not! Whether I go on facebook or not! Now, I like people. But I am kinda weirded out by all this. I mean, there is a point where even an extreme extravert wants to not know things about other people! Is the Eagle Eye taking over? Hmmm.

1 comment:

Ed Ziebart said...

Thats spookey Heather, Just like the Safeway knowing what you buy the most and offering you deals based upon your purchasing habits. Dad

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States