Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Expectations.

I was talking to Jessica Henson today about expectations. We get so pre-occupied with what expectations have been placed upon us that we forget to be expectant ourselves. We feel the need to live up to expectations, but we forget to live in expectancy of God. The Bible teaches us to live in "eager expectancy" ( Philippians 1:20 ) ... but that verb changes forms when we live eager to fulfill expecations. This is not a study I did, I didnt look up verses and such, but I think it is good be be expecatnt of God and not as worried about fulfilling expectations.

2 comments:

Harmony Moore said...

I really , really, really liked this thought. Expectations often are formed or carried in pride-- in my own life. I don't know. It's one thing to do ones duty humbly and joyfully and be satisfied with IT while hungering for God... as opposed to striving to fulfill expectations and hungering for the gratification that we expect from that... not that it's either or but I was thinking of these two things.

mama said...

EXPECT to hear his voice...EXPECT to have his presence...EXPECT to be led to the next thing...EXPECT his blessings and direction...you are right. Those are the expectations we need to have for ourselves and for each other...to be led by him, not the expectations of others. I expect Him to bless you abundantly!!

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States