Friday, April 11, 2008

Identity over Influence.

This week I was talking to my youth pastor, Chris Hinson, we were discusing my generation in general and how we relate and respond to things. I think somewhere we are both looking for a solution to a problem that will never be fixed, but we are out to save the world one small idea at a time. I told him that influence is one of the largest factors in our life on deciding who we become, that is why I want to work with kids and be a positive influence. That is why I think Mentors, like the one-on-one leader I had in Budapest (Lisa McKinney) are so important. They pour into our lives and believe in us when no one else does. But... what about people that dont have a Lisa? How will they make it? Well, God did create us to depend on others... but also to be independent. I wonder how I made it through so many years to where I am today without having a mentor of a sort, a constant pastor or older person... This is where Chris intrigued me...

"Heather, did you have a concept of your identity of Christ at an early age?"

After thinking about it, I decided that I did. I knew who I was and where I was going and why... even if I didnt really. I knew that I didnt need a boy friend, that there was more to this world than pleasure, I didnt have to try to be someone else cause I was comftorable just being me. So, if people can have an understanding of their identity in Christ, it doesnt matter what life throws at them, they will be secure and unchangeable. Mentors are important, friends full of encouragement are a necessity to our livs - but if we have those things and have no identity in Christ, we are nothing. So though I thrive to mentor others and to influence them... my influence will do nothing without their secure knowledge of their identity in Christ and role in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Just some thoughts.

3 comments:

Harmony Moore said...

Heather! What the heck. I didn't know you were writing again. I guess I ought to subscribe. =)

This is cool. I always had that same sense you did-- we did different things with it, but it always permeated my thinking and my world view. I think about that a lot.

Harmony Moore said...

And Sharell has a blog, too! This is getting better and better.

Anonymous said...

wala pulos imo blog.

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States