Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Milk

My Sister and I took the kids to Multnomah Falls. It was a typical Oregon heavy, wet day. The kids were antsy and hungry ... cause we hadn't really planned on going, we just wanted to talk, Harmony and I, and if we drove maybe we could do that. So anyway, the kids, they needed sugar, so we stopped at that little Cafe just under the falls, you know the one, outside under the tent? Well, they were closing up, and kinda irritated that we wanted a drink. (It was like 3:45 ok?) We looked at the menu and saw:
Chai $4.50. Oregon Chai. Uck.
Mocha $4.00
Steamer $4.00
A four dollar steamer. You know what steamer is right? Its hot milk with one shot of flavor. Normally flavor is like .30 addition, if that. And milk ... how expensive is milk anyway? Well, then Harmony asked "How much for just a hot cup of milk, no flavor?"

The snotty girl replied "Its the SAME price as a steamer. $4.00"
"A cup of milk is $4.00?" Harmony asked gaspingly back?
"Yes." And we walked away shocked, telling the kids that there would be no special drinks today.
Four dollars. Four dollars for a cup of milk. 12 oz. A cup and a half. do you know how much a gallon of milk costs? Three dollars, tops. Four dollars if you are like camping and shopping at the only "convenient" store within twenty miles. But then, even then .... when the hiked up prices are outrageous ... its OK. But, four dollars for a cup and a half of steamed milk is beyond outrageous. Its like not even worth arguing about ... like, how do you justify something like that? You don't! That's how!
We walked away and I ranted while the waterfall overflowed its wetness upon me. I think I missed some of the whole waterfall experience because I was so caught up with the milk!
"Maybe," I said to Harmony. "Maybe their milk is so expensive because they milk it right there and its hot from the utters and the cow eats organic, multnomah falls grown grass..."
"Yeah .... that's it Heather. They have a cow."
"Can I go ask them? Can I go ask the snotty coffee girls if their milk is so expensive because they milk it right there???"
"No Heather. You can't ask them. Lets just pretend that is actually the case."

Well Multnomah Falls Coffee shop. I do not understand thee ... but I choose to believe that somewhere, you have a cow and that you serve the freshest steamed milk in the northwest.

No comments:

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States