Sunday, February 7, 2010

Persecution

I use to wonder upon Persecution. Of limb-stretching's, tongue slashings, and mind warping’s. Of the hero’s who stood strong like Daniel and Stephen and Paul. We pray for the persecuted church. We pray for those persecuted. Oh to be persecuted! Of course I would stand strong to the face of my killer! I would not degrade the name of my Lord! … Or Would I? Peter did. Am I any different?

I’ve heard that the Chinese leaders don’t want the American Church to pray against persecution, but for the Christians to withstand the persecution. They believe that the persecution strengthens the faith of the believers and helps sift the true believers from those putting on a face. Without persecution, the American church is full of fakers.

So, what is this persecution? I once had a goal to be persecuted … I don’t know if this is something to be achieved, its not really a goal of mine anymore. John writes the words of Jesus telling us that when we are hated, it is not us that the world hates, but Him. I am beginning to wonder if hate is persecution.

There are people who don’t like me very much. Perhaps they hate me. I suppose they are convicted by me, or my lifestyle … and it hurts. But I am coming to realize it is not me they hate, it is Christ in me. I cant take offense to the immaturity. I would rather have Christ and life, then not have Christ and be made right with every person.

Perhaps this hating is persecution. I know it doesn’t compare to the stories we read about of Christians in Communist countries, but perhaps it is all linked. We are all hated for Christ.

No comments:

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States