Saturday, March 1, 2008

Hallajuah, Coke, Amen

Every location my travels take me I find a new language with new sounds, letters and voice inflections. Some languages sound similar to words I know, some languages are strictly foreign - but there are those languages and alphabets which mean nothing to me, which sound literally like baby gibberish and give me no hope of learning even the smallest jot or tiddle.

It is during these circumstances that I find myself out on the edge a little more than usual because I cant rely on my usual communication skills to get me by. I cant get lost and ask for directions or ask for help if I need it. I can sit in a public place and listen in on other conversations or read billboards or labels when I get bored. I cant even complete the simplest action of saying “thank you” or “I would like that please” or “stop here”. I cant utter anything that means something to the people in which I long to communicate with. At the grocery story I long to see lables which I recgonize, brands that look famaliar. I cant order anything at a resturarant except for one drink - Coca Cola. No matter where I have travled Coke is the universal drink. I drink it simply because I can ask for it. I can speak to a person in another language without needing assistance of a translator, that alone is worth drinking it for.

But there is a language louder than words, more universal and understandable by all. It is the language of love. They may not understand a sound that comes forth from my lips, but they see the smile they produce. I may not be able to verbalize my need for an item, but I can put my years of charades into practice. I cant say “sorry” for bumping into people or explain to the homeless person that I am not ignoring them by not wanting to give them money, but I don’t know what they are saying and I cant use words to tell them I dont have money.

When we go to churches though… there is a slightly brighter atmosphere. I can usually depict the word for Jesus be-it Jesit or Jesu or something along those lines. In every song I can pick out the one word that I know, the one word that sounds familiar to me and has meaning in my mind. The word I can speak and have the party in front of me understand. I can feel the presence of the Holy Spirit in the room, but suddenly, when the word is spoken I feel connected to the other people as well. Together we can shout in loud voices “Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah Amen!”

No comments:

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States