Wednesday, February 25, 2009

ANNE

I just finished watching the last of the Anne of Green Gables movies my mom gave me for Christmas. I watched them by myself, I was too impatient to find someone to watch them with. I think my mom was jealous that I watched them late at night without her. (Don't worry Mama, I'll gladly watch them again... anytime... again and again and again...)

I got sucked into the story. Don't we all? I remember being in the play in 8th Grade. I remember being so sucked in, I really believed I was one of Anne's friends. No other story in the world hits me as intimatly as does the story of Anne. I feel I belong on Prince Edward Island, and my boosom friend Diana is waiting there for me to take a walk on the shore line. I dream of once again letting my eyes rest on Green Gables, taking a swim in Barys Pond (aka the lake of shining waters) I am even in love again with the poem 'The Lady of Shalot'

There she weaves by night and day
A magic web of colors gay
She has heard a wisper say
A curse be on her if she stay
To go down to Camelot....

I know, I know... I am a bit of a freak at the moment. But I just ended the series! I am caught up in it all, ok? I have this urge to read the series now, I would have to purchase it of course, which causes another problem of buying more books to replace the ones I have not yet read. In 8th Grade I got caught up in the story, I had to let it go. I had to accept that it was my imagination (at least I have an imagination!). I had to really step back from the story for a while...perhaps that is what I will have to do with this as well.

It is just so good. So pure. So innocent. A story of true love, friendship, and kindred spirits. I admire that my mom watched this with me and Harmony, that we grew to love it... that my Dad can even quote it... and though he wont admit it, I am sure Matthew could tell you of all the scenes of the wonderful plot as well. It is this special movie, that will remain special as I watch it with my friends, and with someday, my daughters, and as I watch it again and again and again. So for now, good bye Green Gables.

I remain yours, Heather ANNE with an 'E'.

6 comments:

mama said...

Why do you think we named you heather ANNE?! (Because Harmony and Matthew and I had already been watching it for years, and well, we had to) Let's spend a sick day in Avonlea!

Harmony Moore said...

ha! the line about your bosom friend, Diana, waiting for you cracked me up! I totally understand! Isn't Diana always there, waiting for us? =)

When we lived on Baldy View, I used to play incessantly that I lived in Avonlea. I used to call the moss on the fence, "Avonlea Clover"-- I was certain I had discovered it, and it would cure the world.

Jealous! I want to watch it WITH you!

Harmony Moore said...

I beg to differ. I don't recall watching the movie before Baldy View-- before Heather was born. Did we? Maybe we did back when it was still a WonderWorks feature on TV? Because I KNOW we didn't have a VCR...

Harmony Moore said...

But while I'm rambling... I must mention that most of my memories of being sick are really, really good ones, because of these movies.

The last time I remember being sick and watching them was after I graduated from High School. I had the stomach flu, and after a couple of violent days, Mama stayed home and fed me brown rice with cheese , and we watched the movies together.

Heather W. said...

I would admit that ouside of my puking sicknesses, all my sick memories are really good. I either watched Anne of Green Gables, or listned to the Bible on tape.

mama said...

Ok, my girls, mama will settle this once and for all. Yes, dear Harmony, we DID watch Anne of Green Gables BEFORE Heather was born, on Dondea St. We must of had a VCR...or something. That's why you were so insistant that Heather's middle name be ANNE with an "e". It would of been when you were 7 and 8. And sick days? It makes me happy inside to hear you say they were memorable...and how much we enjoyed them, knowing we would spend them in Avonlea. I think I really need a sick day! I was thinking how much all kids need to be given the chance to know and understand the worlds of Little House, The Waltons, and Green Gables. So much that is good and true in life are learned in those places...immersed in those stories. It saddens me that probably most children I teach today will not receive those exposures in their home...they will never know...the true depth, honesty and integrity that was Matthew...the lessons taught by Marilla...the beauty of Prince Rupert Island..what friendship truly means...the importance of putting the cheesecloth over the pudding...the pioneer spirit and virtue of the Ingalls...how to deal with the "Nellies" of the world...the family roots of the Waltons on their mountain...the poverty of the Depression...how the "recipe" cured everything! I WANNA SICK DAY!

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States