Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Orphanage

A very exciting day for me was Wednesday. We went to Mother Teresa’s home here in Yerevan. She has “homes” all over the world, orphanages that she started or were started in here name. One of the sisters there actually spent years working in direct contact with Mother Teresa, she shared with us for a few minutes about her, what a wonderful testimony she was, how even as nun she wanted to follow what Jesus had for her life. It was mostly an orphanage for young children with disabilities. It was just fun, I really light up when around that group of people anyways. Young kids, some in wheel chairs, all with arms outstretched wanting to be hugged and played with and loved. The nuns speak English to the kids so most of them understand and speak English as well.

One little boy in particular reminded me so much of Solomon (my nephew whom I miss dearly). This little boy was 6 but small in stature and could not walk because of braces constraining his legs. He was the one we found to speak English. The drum was his favorite thing we brought and he didn’t want to let go if it, but would shout out names of his favorite songs for Jarrod to play on the guitar. “Sing the if you are happy and you know it song!” “Sing the jumping song!” sing the happy and you know it song!”… His smile, his desire for Jesus and his love for music - that was what reminded me of Solomon.

What we liked most about the orphanage, or the thing that stuck with us all, was the sisters. They were so happy. They had genuine love flowing from them, joy poured out of them. They had love for those kids that was real, they had the joy of the Lord oozing out from every part of them. We were inspired by their simple devotion, their patience, their smiles.

The orphanage was clean. It was more like a large house, only like 25 kids, most babies or kids under the age of about 7. It did not fit my impression of orphanages, it was like a home, full of love and warmth. It made me think “this is something I could do.” I did not have to search for love to give to those kids, it was there. I desired to not leave after our 2 hours. I wanted to stay. I wanted to hold the sick babies and pray over them all night long. I wanted to talk to the older kids and instill Jesus in their life. I wanted to stay. Maybe someday God will direct me back to an orphanage where I will be able to serve and give of myself, I look forward to that day.

No comments:

Me

Portland, Oregon, United States